In 1928, Mr. and Mrs. Frederick W. Pitkin and others of the Horace Pitkin family quit-claimed the Glass Works property to the Orford Parish Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution. Finding the increasing cost of maintenance a burden, a suggestion was made in 1977 that the property be sold for commercial purposes. A group of interested citizens, led by Edson Bailey, protested this possibility and formed a committee to preserve this historic site for the community and beyond.
The Pitkin Glass Works Council was formed in 1977, consisting of representatives from the D.A.R., the Manchester Historical Society and the Town of Manchester. The Council now administers the site and is responsible for its preservation and maintenance. In recent years the stonework has been repointed and the wood lintels over the windows have been replaced. The Council remains active, carrying out its mandate to maintain and preserve this part of our heritage for future generations.
Current Council 2017
President - David Smith
Vice President - Don Kelsey
Recording Secretary - Ingrid Fraize
Corresponding Secretary - Lynda Jones
Treasurer - Susan Crombie
FROM THE DAUGHTERS OF THE AMERICAN REVOLUTION
FROM THE MANCHESTER HISTORICAL SOCIETY
FROM THE TOWN OF MANCHESTER